- Bangladesh has one of the highest rates of ocular morbidity in the world.
- 800,000 people are blind in Bangladesh, with 70-80% caused by treatable cataract. The incidence of cataract is expected to rise to 130,000 new cases each year.
- Over 6 million people suffer from uncorrected refractive error.
- There exist disparities as the prevalence of blindness is significantly higher in women as well as the unemployed and illiterate.
- Since 2010, the UK based NGO, ‘Selfless’, has organised health camps in rural villages across Bangladesh. This includes eye camps with low cost eye surgery performed at its partner site in Sylhet.
What we are working on:
- Low-cost initiative to screen individuals in rural villages for cataract.
- ‘Ambucycle’- motor-cycle with an ophthalmologist, optometrist and equipped with basic eye diagnostic kit including ophthalmoscope and visual acuity charts.
- People with cataract identified and taken via bus to a dedicated eye hospital in Sylhet to undergo surgery
Please donate to pilot this low-cost initiative to help those debilitated by visual impairment and cataracts in rural Bangladesh.
If you are interested in supporting this project, or would like to get involved, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Drs Ibrahim Sheriff and Hammad Malik
Selfless International Eye Care Programme.