The First Few Days of Life..
The days and weeks following childbirth are a critical phase in the lives of mothers’ and newborn babies.
- Most maternal and infant deaths occur in the first month after birth: almost half of postnatal maternal deaths occur within the first 24 hours, and 66% occur during the first week.
- In 2013, 2.8 million newborns died in their first month of life – 1 million of these newborns died on the first day.
The Selfless 'Baby Bundle'
The Selfless Baby Bundle is a single kit with the essentials for postpartum care.
It is designed around the established practice of a ‘bounty pack’ in the UK – a gift for mothers. The reusable Bundle is made from organic, locally sourced jute, made by local women.
The Bundle is backed with evidence-based interventions to support improved postnatal care and essential parent information.
Essentials for neonatal care in one bag
The ‘Baby Bundles’ maternal health programme delivers on recommendations from the World Health Organisation (WHO).
- Continue to promote early and exclusive breastfeeding (EBF)
- Promote the use of Chlorhexidine for umbilical cord care for babies born at home.
- Reinforce key newborn care messages among families and providers
- Provide iron and folic acid supplementation for at least 3 months after delivery.
- Contains a mosquito net to protect against Malaria.